Saturday, January 19, 2008

From Dread to Awe

I did not want to run when I got home from my travels yesterday. In fact, I was dreading it. I was hoping to have finished up my inspections and get home about 4:00 so I could get my run in before dark. I didn't get home till around 5:35 so, that didn't happen. I thought about blowing it off, but then I thought that the 26.2 miles I will be running in April does not care who's running it or if they blew off some runs during their training. The 26.2 miles will simply be tough. Then I thought, I can't let Marion get too far ahead of me in mileage in the pace groups either. So, after lovin' on my beautiful wife for a bit and irritating my girls, I changed into my running gear and headed out. It was a bit of drudgery initially, but then something happened. The earpieces to our awesome $10 GPX am/fm stereo were hurting my right ear, not to mention not working in that ear, so I took it off and turned off the radio. It was a marvelous night, not too cold, winds calmed substantially, and it was peaceful and quiet. I was also treated to running under a blanket of stars and a bright moon, like that above, that I gazed at a bit too long at one point and found myself on the front lawn of the Bedford Library. My dread had been transformed into awe. I'm glad I went.

2 comments:

Mar said...

Sounds beautiful, Rick. I tell ya, there are times when music just gets in the way. I don't use my iPod on 'dark' runs simply because I'm afraid I won't hear any would be attackers. You're right, I've had some of my best runs without the distraction. However, anything more than 3 or 4 miles and I need my Jason Mraz to pump me up:)

That's a beautiful shot!! Love all the pics you've been putting up:)

Rick said...

Heh. I don't even know who Jason Mraz is! Funny, I swore when I was in highschool and college that I would never be out of touch with "current" music when I "grew up". I guess I just blew right on past "growing up" into old-fogeydom"?!?

Thanks for the compliment on the pics. I stole the one on this post off the internet - do you know how hard it is to find a pic of a "nightsky scape" on the internet (well, probably not hard for your average non-everydayliving-challenged individual, like myself), but was pleased with this one. Most of the pics you see I take myself though. Something catches my eye, I take a picture. :-)