Thursday, July 10, 2008

Injury Update

I went back to the doctor this past Tuesday, the 8th. He feels I am well enough to be out of the cam-walker - the sporty support boot I previously described - and am ok to do some cross-training type activities like biking, eliptical, and then gradually work myself into walking, walk jogging, and run walking, and eventually back to running as I feel I am able to progress through each. He felt confident that I would be able to do a shorter distance race in September, but not for a PR. If you read below, I did do some significant hiking in the mountains which I tolerated very well with no pain and little fatigue or ache in the evenings following. Last Sunday we were visiting with my long time friend, Greg, and his family in from Arkansas, at his parents' lake home and was being chased around the yard by his 3 nephews with water balloons. I did feel some pain in that running around so, I know that I am not yet ready for any kind of running. A couple of evenings ago I went out for a 10 mile bike ride, fairly strenuously (for me and my clunky Huffy *mountain bike*), which took about 45 minutes, and while my bum is calling me everything thing but a white man, the rest of my body has felt pretty good. I feel like I'm about 80% or better healed. I have some major psych-games going on in my head though in that, every tinge of anything I feel in my leg, I think my leg is hurt, but I don't think it really is that much anymore. Anyhow, there you have it... some significant progress. Yea!

6 comments:

Sara McCarty said...

Great news Rick!! On the road to recovery and approved for cross-training!! Break out that bike and get your butt in shape (literally, then it won't cuss you as much). Enjoy the rest of the summer and hopefully you can start running again in the fall.

Sherry said...

Rick, this is wonderful news! I'm excited for you. I know that you have to take it easy on your way back to 'racing form' so definitely enjoy the cross-training. Maybe it will turn you into a triathlete?? :o)

BTW, your vacation pics are terrific!

Mike Fox said...

Great to see you are on the mend! Perhaps we can go for a run together the next time I'm up in Michigan :-)

Rick said...

That'd be GREAT, Mike! Lemme know when you'll be in the area again.

Thanks, Sara. My butt is handling this cross-training surprisingly well. I thought I wouldn't be able to sit after the first or second ride, but I just have a little discomfort is all. Does this mean I am a tough arse?

Sherry, I don't think they would allow me to enter a triathlon with the clunker of a bicycle I ride! LOL And, an ostrich with ankle weights could swim better than me! Not to mention I don't have a pool to swim in to even get beyond drowning skill level in swimming. Thanks for the compliment on the vacation pics.

jtj3 said...

Hey, glad you're making progress! So, the Chicago Half-Marathon is in 4 weeks...does this mean you're going to come to Chicago and join me? LOL!!!

Rick said...

I don't think I'll quite be ready, Jim. I am kicking around the Grand Rapids Half in late October though. You could meet me there perhaps?!? Time will tell.