I've had some friends ask me what I do on these long runs (other than run of course) to keep from going nuts running for 2+ hours. Well, I do run with an am/fm radio (no cool mp3 player or iPod) and listen to classic rock and I wish I had some cool transcendental meditation experience or meeting with God in lots of meaningful prayer kind of answer but, the truth is I don't. So, as I was running today, I thought that I would just summarize some of the thoughts I was having while on my run. Lets see... I'll do this in mile stages... so here's some of what passed through my head today:
Miles 0 - 3.5:
- Boy, my legs feel like they are cast in concrete today, am I going to be able to do this?!?
- MAN is it windy, this sucks!
- Hey I think that was my father in law that just drove by
- That squirrel's smooshed about as flat as I've ever seen
- MAN is it windy, this sucks!
- Well, at least it's like 40F and not bitter cold
- Marathon race conditions might be this bad or worse so quit whining and run
- Pacing, keep pacing
Miles 3.5 - 8.5:
- Cool, running with the wind all I have to do is lift my legs and I get blown forward
- So when should I eat my Shot Block?
- I think somewhere around mile 7
- I really like this running with the wind
- Eat your Shot Block
- HEY, since when is "Every Breath You Take" classic ROCK?!? I like The Police and all, but this song is LAME for classic rock!
- I don't think I like these Shot Blocks, I like the gels/GU better for nutrition on the run
- Running with the wind ROCKS! Oh crap, I have to turn a corner.
Miles 8.5 - 11.5:
- I wish this Shot Block would dissolve out of my teeth already
- Man, running into the wind really sucks
- Hey, it would be really cool if Denise could somehow get Cassy up here for the race. I wonder if that would be possible?
- What about Make a Wish?
- Can Cassy even fly? I'm not sure.
- Would Denise be able to get time off for this?
- I'm getting kinda tired
- Maybe my company would sponser Cassy to come up for this
- Would it be too cold for her to be at the race
- I wish this darn Shot Block would dissolve off my teeth already!
- Wow, it would be really cool is she were here to push her for like that last 1.2 miles across the finish line
- Running into this nasty headwind really is getting on my nerves
- I think I could puke if I went any faster
- Aww, cool! "Come Sail Away" by Styx! What a great song to run to
- I'm tired and my thighs are toast and my feet are starting to hurt
- This wind STINKS!
- "Take it Easy"... yea right! I love the Eagles but this song doesn't fit at all
Miles 11.5 - 14
- Thank goodness! A tailwind for the finish of my run
- Man my legs are tired
- My feet are getting sore too
- Stop whining and finish this up, only 2 more miles!
- I think I could puke
- Wow that new house is big!
- I can't wait to wear my new shoes on a short, easy, recovery run tomorrow
- Thank God for tailwinds on a run finish!
- Almost there now
- Pacing, keep your pacing
- I'm hungry and thirsty
- Just a little further
- I am sooooo tired
- This is only slightly over HALF of what I have to run in April!
- Sooo close
- Keep pacing
- Whew! Finally, done. Thank you Lord!
So, that's just a smidge of some of the random stuff that runs through my head on a long run. :-)